Best tips for beginners?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm a newbie when it comes to golf.

I took some lessons with a friend when I was visiting him in Florida. Since then I've been at the driving range weekly and sometimes twice weekly to just get basic and repeated motions down.

Are there any other tips you might recommend for someone new? I'm too nervous yet to go try and hit a 9 hole in the late afternoon at the moment.

Reactions: JTV

JTV

Bald Eagle
Fwiw I've been learning the JVGA swing (Jim Venetos) for the past year and a half. It's given me a ton of consistency, which I never had before. It was instantly better for wedges and short irons, but it's taken a while for the longer clubs, especially 3w and driver. Those are getting really good now, and I'm hitting them as long as ever, even with such a compact swing, and no weight shift. I'm teaching my wife to swing this way also because she is an absolute beginner, and she's coming along pretty quickly. She doesn't hit the ball very far because she has no hand/arm strength, but she's already pretty consistent.

While very simple & obvious, the best way to get better results/scores is to practice short game. Over half your shots in the round will be via wedges/putter, so be sure to take the time to practice chips & putts. I know it isn't the most exciting or fun to practice, but you'll see the results. Playing par 3 nine hole courses is a fantastic way to lock in the short game, while not committing too much time to an entire full 18. Good luck and let us know how it goes!