Building from Scratch, the Scaly Way

Super Tuna

SLDR driver head and it's replacement weight has arrived. I'm just waiting on the grip and the adapter.

I replaced the grip on my ugly as sod putter and just need to do the paint fill before posting it.

Coolbreeze

GTG BABY!
Staff member
SLDR driver head and it's replacement weight has arrived. I'm just waiting on the grip and the adapter.

I replaced the grip on my ugly as sod putter and just need to do the paint fill before posting it.
Looking forward to it Tuna. You'll love the SLDR as I do.

Super Tuna

Looking forward to it Tuna. You'll love the SLDR as I do.

I've been happy with the numbers, the feel and the look. I really wanted the 430 to work but holy fishcake was it unforgiving if you're anywhere off the center. The 460 isn't fantastic in that regard, but it was night and day between them.

I did have to monkey with the head weight though. It's took heavy for my liking at standard setup.

Something is fishy about this thread

As long as it's looks instead of smell, that's ok.

Coolbreeze

GTG BABY!
Staff member
I've been happy with the numbers, the feel and the look. I really wanted the 430 to work but holy fishcake was it unforgiving if you're anywhere off the center. The 460 isn't fantastic in that regard, but it was night and day between them.

I did have to monkey with the head weight though. It's took heavy for my liking at standard setup.

As long as it's looks instead of smell, that's ok.
It is a heavier head but I find that helps me keep my tempo under control but to each their own.

Super Tuna

So the H2NO has been put through it's paces a bunch of times this weekend (72 holes in the past 3 days) and most of that in the pour rain. So far, it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's entirely water proof, so if that's what you want, it doesn't get any better.

However, there are some downsides to be aware of though:

1: On the back, there's no slot for the bag strap to be held in. It might seem small, but it's CRAZY annoying that the bag strap just floats in the breeze. It's a PITA when trying to load it on a push cart and it keeps getting in the way of latches and such.

2: The rain cover is both functional and annoying. It's functional because no water is getting in. Period. Ever. So yay. The downside is that if you have it off and then it starts raining and you want to put it on, for-bloody-get about it if you're on a push cart. You'll never get the angle right and at the very least, you'll have to pull off every head cover to get it over the clubs. Also, unlike a lot of covers, it's only one zipper instead of two, which I can see the point of. However, the zipper does not come off entirely so you can open a flap like most and peel is back like a banana. Instead it goes almost, but not quite to the bottom then stops. Again, I get that it's to ensure a tight seal but I imagine that might annoy some people.

Super Tuna

2nd:
I'll need a few days to finish up the paintfill change, but other then that, the putter has been sorted out. It's the very ugly but extremely functional Odyssey Jailbird. 33.5", D7 swing weight, 3* loft, 1* open with a Super Stroke 2.0 mid slim grip in white/green. All the paint is also being done in white and green.

Super Tuna

Also, since I'm meandering thought wise, Tour Edge really doesn't get enough credit. Granted, that's their own fault for putting out things like the waffle 3 wood for a bajillion dollars but even the bog standard XCG6 or 7 driver is really quite nice.

threshold350

resident dickhead
TEE is really nice stuff. What ruined it for me with that brand was their Bazooka. Growing up, it was considered "cheap" or generic or not so great clubs.

Super Tuna

TEE is really nice stuff. What ruined it for me with that brand was their Bazooka. Growing up, it was considered "cheap" or generic or not so great clubs.

Fair enough. I think that was a branding issue, in that they should have called it something else. ALA Callaway for the golf stores and Top Flite for the department stores rather then keeping the same name. Added Exotics to the end of Tour Edge wasn't enough brand delineation.

I don't hold it against TEE for having Bazooka stuff though. It's entry level stuff and pretty well does what it says on the tin. Though, I don't know if they marketed differently in the past. If they did, I could definitely see that as being an issue.

Super Tuna

Having a serious issue adjusting to the SLDR. It's long, but either very, very left or somewhat right and in this weather, I really don't like playing out of the rough. I might have to relegate it to being a spring/summer club.

Coolbreeze

GTG BABY!
Staff member
Having a serious issue adjusting to the SLDR. It's long, but either very, very left or somewhat right and in this weather, I really don't like playing out of the rough. I might have to relegate it to being a spring/summer club.
Interesting Tuna, I find the SLDR to be very straight.

Super Tuna

Interesting Tuna, I find the SLDR to be very straight.

I'm either hitting a 20+ draw or fading it 10+ and I'm finding it odd. The SLDR 430 was crazy straight for me but was definitely distance iffy. This is consistent that way but not direction wise and it's playing havoc on any sort of course management.

Coolbreeze

GTG BABY!
Staff member
I'm either hitting a 20+ draw or fading it 10+ and I'm finding it odd. The SLDR 430 was crazy straight for me but was definitely distance iffy. This is consistent that way but not direction wise and it's playing havoc on any sort of course management.
This seems like user error no? The club face just hits the ball, but face angle and swing path make the ball curve. Or am I crazy?

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
I really wanted to like the SLDR this year. It just was a more demanding head than the R1 and required a more precise strike. The good shots were 10 yards longer, but the misses were shorter and more dispersion challenged than the R1.

Coolbreeze

GTG BABY!
Staff member
I really wanted to like the SLDR this year. It just was a more demanding head than the R1 and required a more precise strike. The good shots were 10 yards longer, but the misses were shorter and more dispersion challenged than the R1.
Its funny, because I liked the R1 a lot and gamed it for a year, but the SLDR is the better driver for me.

Super Tuna

This seems like user error no? The club face just hits the ball, but face angle and swing path make the ball curve. Or am I crazy?

I would agree but I also think that the head is compounding my error. The same swing with say a R1 or 913D3 does not go as far offline. Given my tendency to over swing with the driver, I imagine I'll have to be "on" to see the best here. Though I still find it puzzling that the 430 is the straighter of the two with the same swing errors.

G

Gio

I would agree but I also think that the head is compounding my error. The same swing with say a R1 or 913D3 does not go as far offline. Given my tendency to over swing with the driver, I imagine I'll have to be "on" to see the best here. Though I still find it puzzling that the 430 is the straighter of the two with the same swing errors.

i'm going to say the 430 would have to be straighter as it is far and away the lowest spinning head to come out in the last few years. yes, the misses are bad but, if you're reasonably near the face you're going to hit it straight. obviously other things come into effect but, you know what i mean.