How much does shaft flex really matter?

JTV

Bald Eagle
I think I may be overthinking shafts, once again, especially flex. I'm convinced that it is all down to feel, and to a slight degree, launch angle/trajectory. Heavier/stiffer shafts, at first, seemed to to be a cure for missing left, but after a while I realize that left to right dispersion is all me.
Call me crazy, but it seems that the order of importance in being able to hit good golf shots is this:
1. My swing e.g. how I deliver the club face to the ball
2. Club head design, and loft (GG, draw/fade bias, and etc
3. feel, which greatly affects the next two.
4 Shaft weight (affects swing speed and launch slightly, but can affect feel, and thereby how I swing
5 shaft flex, affects launch angle slightly, but can affect feel, and thereby how I swing swing.

To boil it down, it seems in my testing, that shaft flex is the least of the variables when it comes to club fitting, except that my own feel can skew things.

RUSSS

BOING!
I knew a high school kid who took lessons from my coach. He used to kill the ball. 260-270 carry with a ladies flex Nike driver. His dad would take him to golf galaxy to fit him into an extra stiff/stiff/reg flex and he would lose distance. His dad was a douche. Kid apparently loved the whippiness and had impeccable timing to deliver the club to the ball.

Joshzilla

Boner King
I think it depends on the person. I have no idea what my swing speed is. Many times I've tried getting fit (all indoors) and my swing goes full 'tard. It'll tell me that my 7i carries 135 when on the course that's what I hit to 185. So I don't know my speed. What I DO know is that it's all about finding the write profile for me. I can't seem to make solid contact with my KBS Tour stiffs in my i200s but I can nut the hell out of my 2 iron with x100. It makes no sense. And my driver has been lightyears better since going to x flex. Maybe I'd get 5 more yards out of an s flex but where would the ball be?

Tmex

Staff member
I think if you’re really consistent then shaft becomes even more important but I feel like being in the right shaft is more important than being in the right flex. Not that the wrong flex is good but I’ve made due playing a regular flex shaft in my 7w and it’s one of the better clubs in my bag. When I asked if I should be playing regular flex my fitter said no but i could if it felt better.

The swing overrides all but to me they’re all important and some folks the shaft flex might be that key factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Almost" Gio

Bald Eagle
I knew a high school kid who took lessons from my coach. He used to kill the ball. 260-270 carry with a ladies flex Nike driver. His dad would take him to golf galaxy to fit him into an extra stiff/stiff/reg flex and he would lose distance. His dad was a douche. Kid apparently loved the whippiness and had impeccable timing to deliver the club to the ball.
there's a good story out there about Freddy Couples and a ladies flex club.

"Almost" Gio

Bald Eagle
I think it depends on the person. I have no idea what my swing speed is. Many times I've tried getting fit (all indoors) and my swing goes full 'tard. It'll tell me that my 7i carries 135 when on the course that's what I hit to 185. So I don't know my speed. What I DO know is that it's all about finding the write profile for me. I can't seem to make solid contact with my KBS Tour stiffs in my i200s but I can nut the hell out of my 2 iron with x100. It makes no sense. And my driver has been lightyears better since going to x flex. Maybe I'd get 5 more yards out of an s flex but where would the ball be?
first, you have to understand that different shafts have different stiffness - so, for all you know that KBS tour stiff is pretty close in frequency to the X100 -- heck, the X100 and the S400 are within 4 or 5 tenths of frequency points.

for instance, in between rifle 6.0 and 6.5 -- you'll find the X100. further, that's within the same general weight range -- once you start talking light shafts, it's completely user dependent on feel on what you'd prefer.

also, take into account the fact that if you have a light weight shaft -- you might feel like the club is either head heavy - or you 'lose' the club in your downswing and need a bit more to make up for it.

/mindfuck.

Joshzilla

Boner King
first, you have to understand that different shafts have different stiffness - so, for all you know that KBS tour stiff is pretty close in frequency to the X100 -- heck, the X100 and the S400 are within 4 or 5 tenths of frequency points.

for instance, in between rifle 6.0 and 6.5 -- you'll find the X100. further, that's within the same general weight range -- once you start talking light shafts, it's completely user dependent on feel on what you'd prefer.

also, take into account the fact that if you have a light weight shaft -- you might feel like the club is either head heavy - or you 'lose' the club in your downswing and need a bit more to make up for it.

/mindfuck.

Really? WRX has some chart comparing DG, PX and KBS on the Rifle chart and X100 was like 6.8 is I recall. This is why I just hit sh!t and decide if I like it. Nothing makes sense. My golf existence is like that movie Memento.

Joshzilla

Boner King
I hit Modus 120x better and more consistently than KBS Tour stiff, too. Yolo.

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
Really? WRX has some chart comparing DG, PX and KBS on the Rifle chart and X100 was like 6.8 is I recall. This is why I just hit sh!t and decide if I like it. Nothing makes sense. My golf existence is like that movie Memento.
I haven’t seen that exact chart but kbs Tour stiff are either 6.1 or 6.3 and x100 is the other one. They’re very similar.

X100 is one of the weakest to flex x-stiffs there are

"Almost" Gio

Bald Eagle
read the chart my man -- PX 6.0 is FCM 6.5, X100 is FCM 6.8, and PX 6.5 is FCM 7.0

BLEW YOUR MIND.

JTV

Bald Eagle
That chart explains why I like the X100's,familiarity. I played most of my life with the old true temper dynamic stiff hard stepped twice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Perkins Rooster

Bald Eagle
Flex makes very little difference to my ball flight, for whatever reason. For reference, my easy 7 iron carry is 145.