Ideal Launch to Spin ratio

threshold350

resident dickhead
With all this low spin tech in the latest drivers, it's pretty common to see ppl hit sub 2k spin. Sometimes in the 1500's. I've been seeing people post their numbers with same launch at 10-13* but with spin dropping from 2200-2500 to sub 2k when comparing to their current gamer. According to the launch monitor, that equates to increased distance sometimes up to 15-20yds. I'm really curious how this translates to the course. I would think with 10-13* launch their drive would fall from the sky and actually see less distance with such low spin (1500-2000)

I'm not a professional fitter but with these low low spin driver heads and low spin shafts being sold together, what are the ideal launch numbers juan should be looking for?

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
It varies. Ideally, 17/1700, but it's so difficult to attain, especially for really high or really low ball speeds. It takes the optimal 5 degrees upward angle of attack to get there too.

For me, around 145-150 ball speed, and with an upward angle of attack, I'm looking for 13.5 to 14.5 launch paired with 2100-2300 spin. That's pretty much optimal for me.

I can still get good distance if one goes up or down a shade, as long as the other goes the opposite direction. Think of it like a see-saw, or the yanks teeter totter. Optimal is balanced with both off the ground. They always have to work together.

threshold350

resident dickhead
I get the balance. I just smh when I read that ppl are just focused on get spin sub 2k and not the launch. Which is why the LTD never worked for me. Spin went down a lot but launch angle wouldny go up regardless how much I lofted up. I think I was getting 12-13* and 1500-2000. Monitor was saying 275-279yd. I just know that wouldn't translate onto the course.

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
I get the balance. I just smh when I read that ppl are just focused on get spin sub 2k and not the launch. Which is why the LTD never worked for me. Spin went down a lot but launch angle wouldny go up regardless how much I lofted up. I think I was getting 12-13* and 1500-2000. Monitor was saying 275-279yd. I just know that wouldn't translate onto the course.
Yea, that's a short-sighted approach. They have to work together. I.think. 1 degree of loft only equates, on average, to .7 degrees of launch. Read that in an article the other day. So if you get the spin too low, you can't loft up enough. Upward attack helps in that regard.

And depending on your ball speed, I could see that. But then what's the carry. That's as important, if not more so than total distance. Sure, we want to achieve max distance, but 279 with 235 carry us no good. We want 279 with 255-260 carry. Max them both.

Kmac

#HOF
Staff member
Solid info in here by Esox and Chynky, thanks for the effort guys!

"Almost" Gio

Bald Eagle
i'll just leave this here:
tman-opt.png

TrackMan-Page-2.png

threshold350

resident dickhead
Thanks for the chart Gio. It makes total sense and consistent to what I see in the 100-105 swing speed range. It's just hard for me to believe when I read when you read the 0 attack angle for 105 swing speed. Some one with those numbers with the old gamer will get those numbers. New driver comes in. Launch monitor gives same numbers with the exception of spin which in now low 2k or under 2k and then claim they got 15-20yd more on the monitor since there is more rollout. I'm starting to think these LM software are currently flawed due to these new low low spin heads and shafts. Currently, the added yardard is supporting the OEM's hype of distance gains when in reality it may not.

Some Call Him Tim

Bald Eagle
Interesting chart and gives me some perspective. Even if I was to find a way to get an additional 10 mph club speed, I may only be looking at 30 yards of difference on my best swing. I think I'll keep working on making consistent contact on the sweet spot of the face.

Esox

Staff member
I have a dozen balata Titleist Professional 100 right in my book case. True story. I play the 100s.

Kevin

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
You should roll them on the counter and see how oblong the core is. I bet they wobble like an egg.

President Gasman

Hi!
Staff member
I have a 90 in my office. What were the difference? I knew nothing about balls when they were out and the only ones I played were ones I found in the bushes.

Sent from my butthole