Method for reading greens?

JTV

Bald Eagle
I was at the short game practice area and it occurred to me that I don't really know how to read greens, subtle breaks, not big ones because anybody can see those. I wonder if there is an actual method that works, besides guestimating like I do now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mikeeha

Bald Eagle
I was at the short game practice area and it occurred to me that I don't really know how to read greens, subtle breaks, not big ones because anybody can see those. I wonder if there is an actual method that works, besides guestimating like I do now.

Consider aimpoint? I use my feet to feel for slope. It really does help determine where the ball breaks when you would otherwise miss it. I don't do the finger thing. I feel for breaks and eye ball it.

Other than this season, I actually used to be a good putter lol. Really tho I'm still reading the greens fine but man my putting stroke feels like sh!t.

Reactions: JTV

Recks

They're Nihilists, Donnie
I will plumb bob when I am having trouble seeing it. What I have started doing is walking up to the hole and seeing when I feel like I am standing below it, then I will do the same thing along my line on the way back to my ball. Pretty quick and it has worked pretty well for me lately.

JTV

Bald Eagle
I plumb bob sometimes. You can see which is the high side if it's not already obvious. It has it's limitations though. It doesn't work for multiple breaks, and it's still trial and error as to how much break to play.

threshold350

resident dickhead
Consider aimpoint? I use my feet to feel for slope. It really does help determine where the ball breaks when you would otherwise miss it. I don't do the finger thing. I feel for breaks and eye ball it.

Other than this season, I actually used to be a good putter lol. Really tho I'm still reading the greens fine but man my putting stroke feels like sh!t.
I try to use my feet also but find it more difficult to get the feel with Boost or any shoe not too close to the ground. I've had better success with my Ecco Zero's which is similar to TrueLink shoes. Otherwise, I use plumb bob to figure out which is the high side.

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
I dont really understand the plumb bobby
Plumb bobbing is simply showing you where the slope is in relation to vertical. Your putter is vertical, you cover the ball with the shaft, close your dominant eye, and how far left or right the hole is from your shaft is your maximum break point.

I think the biggest mistake people make is not knowing where their putter hangs vertically and where to “hang” the putter.

Team BTFU For Life

mikeeha

Bald Eagle
Plumb bobbing is simply showing you where the slope is in relation to vertical. Your putter is vertical, you cover the ball with the shaft, close your dominant eye, and how far left or right the hole is from your shaft is your maximum break point.

I think the biggest mistake people make is not knowing where their putter hangs vertically and where to “hang” the putter.

Team BTFU For Life
Also think having a tapered and thick shaft is another problem. True plumb bobs are on a string.

Kmac

#HOF
Staff member
If your putter doesn’t hang straight down it’s not going to give a correct read, no? That was something I was confused about. My spider x if I hold it up does not go straight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nature Boy Jlit

Staff member
If your putter doesn’t hang straight down it’s not going to give a correct read, no? That was something I was confused about. My spider x if I hold it up does not go straight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very correct. Go find a corner of your house or someone you know to be plumb, and keep turning your spider x until you find the direction where it hangs perfectly vertical. They can all vary too based on grip, shaft, and mostly hosel orientation and toe hang. My current slant neck double wide is vertical with the toe pointed about 20 degrees to the left.

Team BTFU For Life

RUSSS

BOING!

Team BTFU For Life
“I cover my ball with my shaft and dominate all the time” - gasman