Method for reading greens?

Wire1984

Great American Titty Hunter
I just look at the grain. Reading the break is not big deal and don’t need to do anything over then stand over the ball, it’s getting the speed down (grain) that I will struggle with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kmac

#HOF
Staff member
Very correct. Go find a corner of your house or someone you know to be plumb, and keep turning your spider x until you find the direction where it hangs perfectly vertical. They can all vary too based on grip, shaft, and mostly hosel orientation and toe hang. My current slant neck double wide is vertical with the toe pointed about 20 degrees to the left.

Team BTFU For Life

I just did this with my double wide and can confirm the exact same setting. Or both our houses slant 20* to the same side.

JTV

Bald Eagle
Bring a string and a weight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kmac

#HOF
Staff member
Lol!

Team BTFU For Life

So someone tried to explain this once before but to review - when I plumb and bob with my putter hanging straight, I'm holding it up above where my ball is on the green directly in line with the hole? And its showing me the break and where the break is?

threshold350

resident dickhead
So someone tried to explain this once before but to review - when I plumb and bob with my putter hanging straight, I'm holding it up above where my ball is on the green directly in line with the hole? And its showing me the break and where the break is?
when you close your dominant eye, if the hole moves to the right of the shaft, it's a right to left. if the hole moves to the left, it's a left to right.

Kmac

#HOF
Staff member
when you close your dominant eye, if the hole moves to the right of the shaft, it's a right to left. if the hole moves to the left, it's a left to right.

f**k I completely forgot about the dominant eye part, no wonder it never works.

On another note I might take the Stroke Me Lab double wide out this Saturday just to shake things up.

threshold350

resident dickhead
I've been straddling my line lately to help figure out the break. Worked well yesterday where the green optically looked like a right to left but the green sloped left to right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTV

liermann.mark

Walk slowly around the Green, it's the only way to see where the undulations are. I always take the long walk around the Green after my approach shot. For example, hitting from center of fairway and tee box for next hole is left, I walk to the right and around the Green.

Also watch the Green as you walk up to it from the fairway. Not just when you get there. When walking towards an elevated green you'll see the subtle slope changes better.

If all else fails, simple walk up to you ball, swing your putter and while striking the ball say:

Nun na nun na nun na ...... [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk